Located at the north of the central square, the 1st Elementary School of Lavrio was built in the early 20th century (1901-1902). Actually, it's a two identical buildings complex, which housed the Municipal School for Boys and Girls, during the service of the mayor John Rellos. The architecture is worthy of admiration and study, as well as many other buildings in the town of Lavrio dating from the period.
Old Town Hall
Citizen Service Center (today)
This remarkable building, located at the central square, is one of the oldest of the town, a two storey building, a fine example of neoclassical architecture of Lavrio, of particular architectural interest. It was first used as a hotel under the name "England", and then for nearly a century (1894-1987) as City Hall of Lavrio. Today the ground floor houses the Citizens Service Center and at the first floor the Association of Lavreotiki Studies (EMEL).
Municipality Cultural Center
(formerly 2nd Elementary School)
The building was constructed at the south of the central square, around 1885-88, by the "Greek Mining Company", to house "Orpheus" (the Philharmonic Orchestra of the company), and other art events. It's really a very sophisticated building, especially for its time. During the 20th century it was used as the 2nd Elementary School and in approximately 1990 the building was renovated to house the Cultural Center of the Municipality.
In the northern part of the square we see the statue of J. B. Serpieri, made by the sculptor G. Brutus. J.B. Serpieri is the one who in the 19th century discovered the mineral-rich soil of Lavreotiki, in the mining of which he proceeded, representing European companies' interests. In contrast, in the southern part of the square one can admire the sculptural synthesis of Miners, made by the sculptor Kostas Valsamis (above photo).
The fish market, as today is known, was built in 1885 by the Greek Company to house the merchants of the era. The market had fully sufficiency of products and services to serve the mines' company; the market also supplied the ships loaded with minerals for the long trip to Europe, Istanbul, or wherever. Lavrio was the first electrified city in Greece, had telephone service, railway communication, and there were several annexes consulates. As expected, the market is highly sophisticated from the architectural point of view, with it's highly functional design. Up today. the market is one of the first places someone should visit in Lavrio.
Located in the northwest of Lavrion, near the High School of the town, and housed in the only surviving building (the concierge) of the great steam-powered ore washery at Noria, an industrial achievement of the 19th century (1873) built by the Greek mine company.
The great steam-powered ore washery was unique in southern Europe and one of the largest in the world; another reason worth visiting Lavrio is to admire the achievements of the early Greek industry.
When the operation of the Greek company stopped, the building housed, from 1936 to 1957, the Pottery Company of Lavrio (AKEL). In 1970 was demolished to build the Lavrio high school.
The Mineralogical Museum was founded in 1986. The building of the Museum has its own interesting history, as mentioned above. The minerals which are exhibited here are of indescribable beauty, some unique in the world and bear the names of those who discovered them. However, the Museum presents findings not only of mineralogical interest; anyone interested in the history of Greece and especially the history of the region should visit the Museum -which is not exploited as it should-, to admire a concise presentation of everything happened during the previous centuries in the region for these mines. Besides, during the golden age of Athenian democracy, the minerals of Lavreotiki played a major role in the development of the Athenian economy, which led to the flourishing of the arts.
Located at the east of the Mineralogical Museum, opposite the schools, the Archaeological Museum was founded in the late '90s, in order to exhibit the findings of the area. Today the Museum houses valuable objects dating from 5000 B.C. and later, because of the continuous habitation of the rich subsoil of Lavreotiki. However, there are few findings that have been lost, especially during the late 19th and early 20th century, a period in which the various mining companies didn't take any concern for the antiquities lying on the subsurface; some of the antiquities that are now exhibited in the Museum were stored in the executive offices.
There are yet Handicrafts - Industrial - Educational Museum and the Museum of Ceramics AKEL - Panos Valsamakis, all of which are currently housed in the Technological and Cultural Park (formerly French Company).
Town Hall of Lavreotiki
The first building of the modern town of Lavrio was built in 1864, at the harbor, to house the offices and the residence of the Director of the Company "Serpieri - Roux Fraissinet CE", and later the offices of the Greek Mining Company. Since 1987 the building houses the Town Hall, which was transferred here from the central square.
Building Complex (former Social Security, Customs and Port Authority)
At the harbor there are many more noteworthy buildings; the building that housed the Social Security Offices (IKA) up to around 1987, owned by the French Company and has been used as the residence of Serpieri and A. Kordella. Today, after a remarkable reconstruction, houses offices and coffee shops. Next to it you will find the former Customs and Port Authority building.
Statue (form of a female)
In front of the former Port Authority building one can admire an important modern Greek monument, made by sculptor M. Kasi, which represents the Woman, Mother, Sister, Fiancee of exiled prisoners of Macronisos island. Note here that you can visit this historic island, with its special place in modern Greek history, with a chartered boat from the port.
Buildings of the Greek Mining Company
Located across the Town Hall, the clock is used today as a coffee shop. It was built around 1870 -1880 and with an entry (Concierge) of the Greek Mining Company. The role of the clock was referring to the exact arrival and departure of staff, the economic situation did not allow employees to purchase personal watches.
Calamine metallurgy calcine furnace
In the premices of the Greek Mining Company, at the south of the clock, is the Calamine, the ore calcine furnaces, built at the same era with the clock and other buildings of the Company.
Directly behind the Calamine rises a hill with a chimney on the top, where a pipeline was used to lead away the smoke of the ovens, constructed by the Company to keep away of the town dangerous arsenic fumes. However, when southwind was blowing the arsenic spread over the entire city. Today the visitor can only see the pipeline and the bases of the chimneys - the Germans demolished the two chimneys during the World War II, as they were a reference point for the British planes.
French Wharf (Galiki scala)
To the east of the port still stands the loading iron ore wharf for transportation to the European countries, just opposite the ruins of the Company's warehouses. The wharf was built in 1888 to facilitate the ore loads on ships. Similar wharfs are half destroyed all over the wider area of Lavrio.
The Machine Shop
Also near the Port is located close the building of the Machine Shop of the Greek Mining Company, which repaired the railroad locomotives and furnaces. The Machine Shop was able to create additional mechanical structures.
A part of the industrial complex is restored by the Municipality of Lavrio and it's being used as a conference room, exhibition hall. It's also houses various artistic events. The Machine Shop, as well as the previous buildings have been listed as official industrial monuments.
To the northeast of the port one can find the buildings of the Attica Railroad: The Guesthouse of the railway employees, the building in the middle of the harbor, is now used as restaurant. The Railway Station, which currently houses the offices of the Cretan Association. The Coffee Shop, opposite to the station, was the coffeehouse of the railway station. The railway depot (remiza) in the park next to the public market is now demolished, and has given its place to a small theater where several cultural events are being presented.
At the town entrance we find the first district of Kyprianos, that was founded during the 19th century to house workers of the French Company next to their workplace. This is the first residential complex in the town. The area has been preserved and it's considered as a unique example of the 19th century Greek architecture. Remarkable also is the Palm Park, created by the French Company at the same period.
French Company (former)
Lavrio Technological and Cultural Park
Today belongs to the NTUA (National Technical University of Athens), which renovated several buildings and granted them to several companies. The aim of NTUA project is to restore as many building as possible (fully operational), in order for the visitor to have a complete overview of the 19th century Greek industry. Historically, the first company that used the facilities was the "Illarion Roux et Compagnie" in 1863, which was followed by the Mining Company of Lavrio (Greek Company) and GEML (French Lavrio Mining Company) for about 116 years, until 1989. In 1992 the area was given to NTUA for research and education. Today, it is the only Greek Park & Museum of Technology of the 19th century.
The churches of the region are of special interest. The Cathedral, dedicated to Agia Paraskevi and located to the east of the town, was built around 1880 and is a three-aisled basilica.
The church of Agios Andreas, to the west, was being built for many years, from around 1865 to the early 20th century (1910). The church is a basilica with a dome and a bell tower.
The Church of Evangelistria, also dating from the early 20th century, is a cross with an octagonal dome, located to the north of the town, at the district of Kyprianos.
The church of Agia Varvara (Catholic) was erected in 1881 by the French Company for the catholics employees. It is located to the north of the city, next to the factory.